Friday, December 11, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

You only need six ingredients for this tasty breakfast.


Oats
Apple
Cinnamon
Brown sugar
Milk
Water

I like to use Penzeys new special blend of cinnamon. It's heavenly!


First you chop up some apple. If I'm making a single serving, I use about 1/4 of a big apple. I put the rest of the apple in the fridge for tomorrow's oats. And yes, I definitely keep the skin on, that's where the vitamins are!


Put the apple pieces in a pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.


Add some water, just a bit, to bathe the apple pieces and simmer on medium low for a few minutes.


When the apples are tender enough for your taste, add one cup of water (for a single serving) then sprinkle on some more cinnamon. When the water and apples reach a boil add 1/2 cup of oats and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can never have enough cinnamon!


Stir the oats in and cook over medium to low heat for a few minutes. I like to stir continuously. I think it makes for creamier oatmeal. When the oats meet your desired thickness, remove from heat and cover for a couple more minutes.


I like to serve my apple cinnamon oats with a tablespoon of brown sugar and two tablespoons of milk. And of course, another shake of cinnamon.


This is a perfect wintertime breakfast and only takes minutes to make!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I made it this morning. I didn't realize that the oats we buy take 10-20 min to cook. So I think in the future, I'll microwave the oats and prepare the apples in the pan then add 'em.

    My normal oatmeal stand by is peanut butter and yogurt with a few cranberries sprinkled on. Try it sometime! - jbd

    ReplyDelete