Friday, March 12, 2010

Macaron (not Macaroon)

A prospective new love has entered my life... Lauduree macarons! Not to be confused with macaroons. My mom and I are leaving for Europe next week and I've been collecting bakery tips from all of my friends. I believe these to be a Parisian winner!


What is a macaron? Here is the scoop from a very trusted source (no, not Fox news):

From Wikipedia - A macaron is a confectionery whose name is derived from an Italian word “maccarone” meaning paste. It is meringue-based: made from a mixture of egg whites, almond flour, and both granulated and confectionery sugar. The confectionery is characterized by its smooth, domed top, ruffled circumference, and flat base. Connoisseurs prize a delicate, egg shell-like crust that yields to a moist and airy interior. The French macaroon differs from other macaroons in that it is filled with cream or butter like a sandwich cookie, and can be found in a wider variety of flavors that range from the traditional (raspberry, chocolate) to the exotic (foie gras, truffle). Making macarons requires a great deal of discipline and is a process that is highly dependent on exactitude, technique, and proper equipment. For this reason it is a notoriously difficult recipe to master and a frustrating endeavor for the amateur baker.

Que magnifique, no? I mean look at all of the different flavors!


More about my trip later. I'm getting so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment